Sunday 13 March 2016

Boho Runner

I have become obsessed by the fantastic antique hemp or chanvre fabrics that I am finding here in the Languedoc region of southern France. But, what to do with them? I wanted to create something that is simple in form and celebrates the beauty of the fabric itself.


This gorgeous cloth is handwoven and therefore has an uneven, slubby texture. The sheets were woven on on a narrow loom and then sewn together down the centre.


I love the subtle changes in shade and texture and wanted to mix off white with off white.


Not wanted to waste a scrap of this valuable cloth I keep bags of even the smallest pieces all over my studio.


I also collect antique French linen thread and embroidery silks which I like to use to create my 'darns' to add a certain authenticity. My trusty shears have been with me for over 30 years!


The pieces are now placed, pinned and ready to begin stitching. Boho Runner No. 2 will be completed this week.


Boho Runner No. 1 had an area of wear on the edge which I used as a feature.



A small section of a central sheet seam.







No comments:

Post a Comment