Saturday 19 March 2016

Ancient French Boutis quilt

I found this amazing quilt in a local brocante. It had seen better days, was grubby and had a hole in the middle.


It was plain red one side and this wonderful Ikat style print on the other.


It had an area of wear in the middle so I added a large print of antique red and white printed cotton and some smaller pieces of red linen.


On closer inspection there seems to be another layer of cloth under the red, which indicates that it was recovered in the red cloth some years ago.


I love the fact that this wonderful piece has evolved over the years and now it is my turn. I have added a series of patches (antique printed cotton, natural and red linen) and used a wandering darn stitch in a bronze coloured antique French embroidery silk.


But how far do I go? how much should I leave as is in order to see the layers of years of wear and repair?


I have put the quilt for sale this weekend in my shop www.etsy.com/shop/atelier hope and given my customers the chance to buy it and influence the level of restoration.


If it does not sell this weekend I will compete it to the level I think is right for the piece.






No comments:

Post a Comment