Saturday 2 February 2013

Brocante Find of the Week

I simply love spending my weekends rummaging through piles of old French bits and bobs, some might call it junk?, I call it treasure.......

Every week I visit at least one of my favorite haunts, often more. This post is dedicated to my favorite weekly finds, many of which can be found in my shop www.etsy.com/shop/HOPEFRENCHVINTAGE

Vintage French Wallpaper

Lovely, albeit kitch, old French wallpaper. I managed to get 9 rolls, unused in the original packaging!





French Wine Bottle

This week I found an old glass wine bottle with the original cork stopper.


I have seen these before in the wicker baskets but I have never seem one in the hessian sacking as well.



I love the way the hessian is hand stitched onto the basket with holes that reveal the bits of wicker.


It would look lovely in a very rustic kitchen.


The bottle top has an unusual ribbed twisted glass detail.


French Walnut Oil Storage Jar



Found at a brocante near Carcasonne. I am told this is circa 1850 and was used to store Walnut oil. 


It has an interesting yellow patina around the base.


It would look amazing in a rustic style kitchen.



Hand Stitched Quilt



This gorgeous quilt is made from a rose print cotton in yellow on one side and pink on the reverse. The inner wadding is wool so imagine how warm it is. 


I love textiles that have patches and darns which show the fact the owner wanted to keep them going. This one has pink patches and red printed patches, all wonderfully faded.


The whole quilt is stitched by hand, imagine the hours of work that went into it.





No comments:

Post a Comment